Monday, March 29, 2010

Those weird Utah things...

I have officially lived in Utah more than three weeks and already, on several occasions .. I have used the phrase, "must be a Utah thing" ... I'm pretty sure I even said that when I bore my testimony on Sunday. Haha at least they laughed...

Anyway, I am here to tell all you of ... some of the "Utah" experiences I have had thus far... I'm sure their will be MUCH more to come.

1.) This Sunday was "break the fast" in our clubhouse here at Raintree where I live. I was really excited ... because I was really hungry and figured it would be something like our Hilliard Linger Longer's. Well, we are totally spoiled at Hilliard because there is some WEIRD food at these things. I joked before I went that is was going to be casserole and jello ( a Utah thing, I hear) and guess what it was!! I ate jello with cottage cheese in it ... DISGUSTING!!




2.) My best friend Marissa goes to Institute at UVU on Monday's and Wednesdays. She is in a dating and courtship class ... and told me this : The class was having a discussion about dating do's and don'ts. They got on the subject of something a girl does on a date that makes the guy say " she's a keeper". The guys, and she said ALL OF THE GUYS ... said ... if they were on a date and their car didn't have automatic unlock ... they would open the door for their date .. and if she leaned over and unlocked his side before he got there ... she was a keeper? What the hay? Are you serious... how does that make somebody fit to be your eternal companion. Anybody want to explain something I'm just not seeing. I mean I realize .. that it's thoughtful ... but really... it makes you a keeper? Come on!!

3.) I was having a discussion with my roommate Kim about the gym. Which is the best thing about Utah, by the way!!! I mentioned, how I noticed that guys there wear their socks really high .. and odd looking shoes to work out in. But, honestly, I admitted it was kind of cute. So she decided to tell me what she thought was cute ... this is what she says.. When she sees guys on BYU campus with Oil Vials on their key chains .. excuse me WHAT? That's weird.....

4.) I went to go send a letter the other day, to Jordan's awesome missionary in San Diego. EVERYONE and I'm not exaggerating ... EVERYONE in the post office was sending a letter or package to an Elder ... somewhere. It was definitely really cool, and really weird.




5.) Get this-- it's 48 degrees .. and every guy in Raintree is laying out in his bathing suit ... sunbathing? I have seen this happen several times. It's true, guys sunbath. The look somewhat like this...





6.) As well as guys laying out ... a good percent of them also go tanning. Unless they are just using orange markers to color themselves in the morning. It could be a possibility...

7.)Funny story: Alright, it’s Sunday night … about 1am and my roommate and I are both sleeping. Our window is open because it was really nice out. All of the sudden this guy is outside singing “Come thou fount of every blessing” at the TOP OF HIS LUNGS. I kid you not; I’ve never heard someone sing this loud. I decide to look out the window and he waves and smiles …. Utah is really weird.


8.)Last but not least, DANCE PARTIES EVERYWHERE. People throw dance parties ... like everyday here .. and there isn't just one to choose from. There is like a dozen. I figured I would see what they were like my first week here. Marissa and I walked in ... and there were 10 people throwing glow sticks... we walked out.





I have come to a conclusion that I have a love hate relationship with Utah. These things entertain me so much, that I don't think I hate them. I actually really like them. I LOVE the mountains, I love seeing temples and church buildings EVERYWHERE and I love being around my best friend all the time!! Overall, I think I made a good decision on moving to Utah. But I will forever love my home, Carolina!! :)

4 comments: