Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Longest Flight Ever!!!!

3:30am, I woke up to head out to Utah. I got to the airport around 5:30am and my flight left at 7:30am. I didn't bring much to do on the plane (big mistake) ...so I'm really bored. I decided I would write blogs on airsick bags.. and put them on the computer later! I just finished reading 3 Nephi in the Book of Mormon, probably right now I have to say it is my all time favorite book in the BOM. I've also been reading a book by Ted Callister (now one of the 70) called The Infinite Atonement. All the concepts in the book start out pretty basic, stuff we already "know" but they are explain in a more profound way. A couple of things that I have ready so far really stuck out to me, so I wrote them down.
  • Until reading this I never thought about the people in the Old Testament. I just figured they were the same as us. That they could repent and be cleansed of their sins ... well, this is true. But then you think... well ... the Savior did not exactly atone for our sins yet ... in the Old Testament. Does the Atonement reach that far? The answer is yes!! "The headnote to Alma 39 reads in part, "Christ's redemption is retroactive in saving the faithful who preceded it." The gospel was preached in full ( faith, repentance, and baptism) from the beginning, and through every dispensation. I thought this was awesome... because it was all stuff I already knew.. and just had not connected together.
  • The second thing that really stuck out to me was this quote. "It should be no surprise that as we become more godlike we become more powerful. Knowledge brings power; purity brings power; love brings power. Power and godhood are directly related." Then it goes on to say that the Savior's life is a confirmation of this truth. D&C 93:17 says, "And he received all power, both in heaven and on earth, and the glory of the Father was with him, for he dwelt in him." Now I know I will never in this lifetime have as much power as this verse talks about, or be even close to being godlike but this quote and verse motivates me to do as best as I possibly can to gain knowledge, to keep myself pure, and to love one another. I know as I strive to do these things that I would become more powerful to withstand the things of this world.
I feel like I have been learning a ton lately. My new calling allows me to go out on teams with the missionaries all the time, which i totally love!! Don't get me wrong--the Elders are awesome but I really really enjoy going out on teams with the sisters. They have such a peace to them and approach sharing the gospel in a different way than Elders do.

The big move is coming up here soon. Yesterday one of the Elders here asked me what I was most excited about for Utah. I had to think about it a little bit but I decided that I'm really excited to be close to the family that took me in as one of their own and introduced me to the gospel. Every single one of them ( and boy, have they grown since then) are an example to me. They all live in Utah and that makes me so excited!! Marissa, (shes my bestie by the way), her and I will go to the same school and live in the same apartments. APARTMENTS, notice not APARTMENT (we'd kill each other :)) Anyway....although, we won't be in the same ward we decided that if my ward is the bomb.com that she can just come with me--or if it starts later... duh...LOL
Another thing I am really excited about is being around so many members at one time. People say it's a little bit of a culture shock... and I'm sure I'll meet the crazies but I will also meet people that will teach me knew things and help me to grow! :)
Thirdly, I am really excited to get my butt into school again. UVU has the 2nd biggest institute--I'm guessing the first being BYU haha. I have no idea... anyway.. Brother Fear ( my institute teach here) told me that there are about 27 classes that you can pick from to take there. How exciting is that?!?! Let's see, ok, so I definitely don't know how I feel about the cold, wet, snow BUT I might as well learn to love it! Right? I would love to learn how to ski!!!! Infact, I would want to do all the cool things you do in mountains like.... rock climbing, long hikes, bike riding, and whatever else is thrown at me....

Besides from being excited to move to Utah, I am also REALLY scared, sad, anxious, impatient, patient because I'm scared (contradicting, i know), joyful and fearless... but I know what I'm doing is right and I know as long as I'm being obedient, Heavenly Father will bless me!!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor I LOVE YOU!! You are so awesome! I'm going to miss you when you move out to Utah but we will DEFINITELY stay in touch...OR ELSE :)

    ReplyDelete